Spring 2021 Student Version
The Community Health Pledge has been updated for Spring 2021. Signing the Spring 2021 Pledge is required for all students who will attend class or visit campus for any reason.
Last Update: January 13, 2021
Champlain College will welcome students back to campus again for the spring semester. Our ability to come together to live, learn, and work on our Burlington campus, despite the pandemic, relies on our shared responsibility for one another. Returning to campus will only be possible if all students, faculty, staff, and community members act in a manner consistent with our protective measures that implement federal, state, and local emergency orders, public health guidelines, the State of Vermont College Restart Plan, and guidance from College public health advisors.
This Community Health Pledge explains the responsibilities and obligations for students returning to campus—please take the time to read it carefully. If you intend to return, it is especially important that you understand both your obligations as a member of our community and how life on campus will be different this semester. Champlain College will take all reasonable steps to create a safe environment, but cannot guarantee a risk-free campus. You also have the ability and the responsibility to protect your own health and safety. Your ability to participate in on-campus life and activities is contingent on you agreeing to and upholding this Community Health Pledge. Please be assured that similar and equivalent responsibilities will apply to faculty, staff, and other on-campus employees.
By signing this pledge, I state that I will do my part and will comply with the College’s public health rules and measures to protect myself and the campus community, and I will:
- Access my Champlain College email account each day to receive important COVID-19 related updates and communications from the College and I acknowledge that it is my responsibility to review and understand any updates.
- Abide by the State of Vermont quarantine guidelines when arriving in Burlington, whether I live in campus housing or off-campus.
- Complete all COVID-19 training required by Champlain College.
- Participate in Champlain’s mandatory health monitoring and testing program which includes:
- Reporting daily symptoms by completing the Daily Health Screen every day I am on campus, including in my residence hall room or College apartment
- Staying home or in my residence hall room if ill with COVID-19 symptoms.
- Promptly reporting any COVID-19 related symptoms to the Student Health Center.
- Participating in routine testing on arrival and on a weekly basis throughout the semester.
- Participating in contact tracing efforts promptly and honestly.
- Complying with requests to quarantine or isolate, including moving from my current residence hall or off-campus apartment to quarantine and isolation housing on-campus, if applicable.
- Reporting any known exposures to individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19.
- Wear a face mask at all times, with the exception of inside my assigned residence hall room, while eating, or when outdoors and physically distanced by at least six feet from all individuals.
- Maintain physical distance of six feet from other individuals whenever possible.
- Agree not to host guests of any kind in my residential room (including those who live in my residence hall) until such time as Champlain College allows.
- Agree not to travel out of state unless travel is considered an emergency. Prior to any emergency travel, I will register my travel through the Student Health Center by completing the travel form.
- Agree not to engage in multi-household gatherings until such restriction is lifted by Champlain College and the state of Vermont.
- Abide by any additional health and safety measures implemented by all Champlain College offices and departments, including but not limited to: classrooms, laboratories, and dining facilities.
- Follow directives regarding health and safety practices including, but not limited to, frequent hand-washing, disinfecting of lab spaces after use, and following directional signage.
- Comply with all procedures related to a closure or suspension of operations as mandated by state, federal, or Champlain College officials, should they become necessary.
- Not host or attend any large gatherings where I am unable to maintain physical distancing, on or off campus.
- Follow COVID-19 safety measures implemented by local businesses, internship and field placement partners, the City of Burlington, and the State of Vermont in off-campus locations, including off-campus residences.
- Reject bias, discrimination, and stigma against people of any racial and ethnic backgrounds and those who are perceived to have been exposed to COVID-19.
- Respectfully remind my peers and colleagues of safety expectations, and be respectful of others when they remind me.
In order to protect the campus community, and in response to new or updated guidance from the Centers for Disease Control, the State of Vermont, or other public health authorities, these directives may change and will be available on Champlain’s COVID-19 update site.
It will be more important than ever to be kind, patient, and respectful of each other as we all adjust to this new normal together. Our ability to give and receive reminders about the importance of these health measures with goodwill and cooperation will benefit our entire community. At the same time, the College will enforce the public health requirements as defined by the College and the State of Vermont.
By committing to the Health Pledge, students understand that failure to adhere to the directives listed above will face disciplinary action. This may include immediate removal from campus for the duration of the COVID-19 crisis, as mandated by the State of Vermont. Students who lose the privilege of being part of our campus community can continue their classes entirely virtually, but acknowledge that disciplinary action may include being barred from campus.
The student disciplinary process outlined in this policy supersedes the Conduct Review Process and exclusively governs issues related to compliance with this policy and sanctions up to exclusion from all on-campus programs, facilities, and activities. If it is necessary for the College to take disciplinary action beyond that sanction, the College’s regular Conduct Review Process will apply.
It is possible to develop and contract COVID-19, even when individuals follow all safety precautions recommended by the CDC, the State of Vermont, and the College. We are taking all reasonable steps to mitigate this risk and expect you to do the same to protect yourself and those around you. However, by choosing to participate in person, students can never be completely shielded from all risk of exposure or illness caused by COVID-19 or other infections.
By returning to campus, I agree that I will comply with Champlain College’s public health rules, policies, and protective measures. I understand that I may contract COVID-19 and assume the risks associated with returning to school and that any failure to comply with our rules may be subject to sanction or discipline in accordance with the College’s policies.