Faculty & Academic Staff Briefing #41
Dear Faculty and Academic Staff:
This brief includes:
- Campus Custodial Operations
- Fall Student Internships
- SMART Space Tutoring and Coaching Support
- Panopto Video Management Platform
- Fall Semester Finals Week
- Health Panel Meeting with Vermont’s Commissioner of Health, Dr. Levine: Thursday, August 6th 5:30pm
- VPAA Coffee Hour Wednesday, 9-10AM
- Recent Messages from the College and New FAQ’s
CAMPUS CUSTODIAL OPERATIONS
As faculty begin to return to campus, we want to share a few notes on campus operations, specifically around custodial services. August 3 was a “soft opening” of campus and we are still ramping up to the full level of service you can expect during the semester.
- You will notice that your trash and recycling bin may have been moved from your office. It will now either be right beside the door to your single office or in a centralized location in your workspace. This is for two reasons: 1) it limits the number of people and touches in your office and 2) creates efficiencies for our Janitech partners, freeing up time for additional disinfecting passes. Thanks in advance for not moving them as we develop new routines.
- Bathrooms and other touchpoints such as door handles are being cleaned, but we aren’t up to the four times per day frequency that will be steady state.
- Personal offices have not been vacuumed yet, but will return to twice per week. We may make adjustments to this based on how different spaces are occupied throughout the semester.
- Disinfecting wipe dispensers will be added to common locations, ie. near copiers. Departments and Divisions do not need to purchase any non-routine cleaning supplies.
- See something that needs addressing? Submit a “Physical Plant Support Request (School Dude)” from the Faculty Web Portal and it will be routed to the right person.
FALL STUDENT INTERNSHIPS
Champlain is committed to supporting choice for students in regard to virtual or in-person internships during the Fall 2020 semester. Faculty overseeing internship courses will add a clear statement in their syllabi that students have the ability to pursue the course requirements in either setting. It is expected that all students will adhere to both Champlain College and internship site policies regarding Covid-19 guidelines and requirements. There may be limitations on the number of in-person positions at any one internship location. Students living at 194 St. Paul Street or in off-campus housing may continue face-to-face internships after Thanksgiving. Students who travel during Thanksgiving week must follow State of Vermont and Champlain College quarantine rules before they can resume their in-person internships.
SMART SPACE TUTORING AND COACHING SUPPORT
All tutoring and coaching services will be offered virtually this fall. Students will register for 1:1 appointments using our website and our online scheduling system, Tutortrac.
Interested in having an embedded tutor to support your classes this fall? Contact email@example.com for more information.
PANOPTO VIDEO MANAGEMENT PLATFORM
Panopto is now live and you can find it in your Canvas courses! You can use Panopto to pre-record video content, allow students to record video presentations and record/post class sessions. Learn more about how to use Panopto!
On Thursday, 8/6 at 1:00 PM there will be a webinar to introduce faculty to Panopto and how you can use it in your course.
FALL SEMESTER FINALS WEEK
After Thanksgiving all course instruction will be 100% virtual, therefore we will follow the regular class schedule during the last week of the semester, traditionally known as “Finals Week.” Please note that the Registrar will not be creating a “finals schedule.” However, if there is a pedagogical need for an additional synchronous time or alternate format that week, individual faculty members have the discretion to schedule something with consideration of their students’ availability. If faculty have any questions, they should discuss with their Dean.
HEALTH PANEL MEETING WITH VERMONT’S COMMISSIONER OF HEALTH, DR. LEVINE: THURSDAY, AUGUST 6, 5:30PM
President Akande has invited Faculty and Staff to a discussion with Dr. Mark Levine, Commissioner of the Vermont Department of Health and Dr. Tim Wilens, Champlain parent and a physician at Mass General Hospital and Professor at Harvard Medical School. This event will focus on medical experts’ perspectives on the state of the pandemic here in Vermont, the epidemiology that informed the College Restart Plan, and key considerations for returning to work. The event is on Thursday, August 6 at 5:30. A calendar invitation with zoom information was sent this morning.
VPAA COFFEE HOUR WEDNESDAY, 9-10AM
Dr. Leslie Averill, Vice President for Academic Affairs is hosting another informal “coffee hour” with faculty on Wednesday, August 5 from 9:00-10:00AM. This is the faculty’s opportunity to ask questions, learn more about Leslie and the college’s reopening plans. You should already have an invite on your calendar. The following “coffee hour” is Thursday, August 13 from 11:00 AM-12:00 PM..
RECENT MESSAGES AND NEW FAQ’s FROM THE COLLEGE
- 8/3: Message from the Registrar’s Office: Fall Update #9 Returning Students | Incoming Students
- 8/2: Fall Update #8: Housing, Fall Move-In & Returning to Campus
- FAQs: Return to Vermont & Testing
- FAQs: Fall 2020 Housing
- FAQs: Quarantine
- FAQs: Move-In
- FAQs: Dining
CLT: Fall Flex Hybrid Ramp-Up Guide
Flex-Hybrid Design Team Meeting Sign-up
CLT Team Meeting Sign-up
Faculty Canvas Mentor List
The “BLURB form“
State of Vermont Mandatory Guidance for College and University Campus Learning
The View: Updates on the Coronavirus
The View: Academic Updates
Faculty Daily Briefing Email Archive
Access to Coaching and Tutoring Support
Fall schedule info for students
Student scheduling “how to” video 1 and video 2.