194 St Paul Street Winter Break Campus Closing Update
Earlier today you received an email from President Akande that included details about campus operations from November 22–January 22. This message contains additional information for our 194 St Paul Street students. Please read this email carefully as it reflects changes to our anticipated plans for winter break.
As a reflection of rising cases of COVID-19 in Vermont, New England, and across the country, and due to risks associated with holiday travel and the approaching flu season, the Vermont Department of Health recently revised its guidance to colleges for the upcoming break. Current state guidance requires that all colleges conclude in-person instruction prior to Thanksgiving and that students not return to campus until mid-January. Champlain College’s main campus residence halls and most facilities will be closed between November 22 and January 22. However, our intention is that residents of 194 St Paul Street will be allowed to stay in their apartments through the end of the semester and over winter break provided that they do not travel outside the state at any time.
While our intention is that residents of 194 St Paul Street will be allowed to stay in their apartments, please keep in mind that as the number of COVID-19 cases continues to grow nationally, regionally and in Vermont, we all will need to be prepared for a changing landscape. We will continue to monitor and adjust our plans as needed.
Please read this email carefully, as it outlines important details for students who wish to remain at 194 St Paul Street and for those who plan to travel.
What you need to know if you’d like to stay in your apartment:
- Residents who wish to remain in their apartment until the end of the fall semester and over winter break are welcome to do so, with one important caveat: Students may not return to their apartment if they leave the state of Vermont for any reason, including Thanksgiving and holiday travel.
- All 194 St Paul residents are required to submit their Winter Break Plans application on THD by November 11.
- Any resident who travels outside the state will not be permitted to return to their apartment until the two week campus quarantine begins January 23–24.
- Non-residents are not allowed in 194 St Paul Street. Family members visiting Vermont must follow the current State of Vermont travel guidelines.
- Most campus facilities will have limited hours or be closed from November 22–January 22 and limited support will be available from Housing and Residential Life and the Student Health Center.
- Required weekly COVID testing will continue for residents of 194 St Paul Street through winter break. Testing schedules will be limited during the week.
- Shuttle service will not be available over winter break, however, the city bus (with stops at main campus, 194 St Paul Street, and Lakeside) will be operating. The GMT schedule can be found here.
If you choose to depart Vermont at any time:
- Submit the Fall Check-Out on the THD homepage under Assignments/Fall 2020 and sign the Winter Break Hall Closing Checklist on your door. Please do not check out until you are actually leaving.
- You may leave your belongings in your apartment over winter break.
- If you travel out of state you will lose access to your room until residence halls reopen for the spring semester. Please be certain to bring all necessary supplies (computers & chargers, gaming equipment, ski equipment, prescription medications, checkbooks, passport, any valuables, etc.) with you if you depart Vermont.
- Seniors graduating in December must depart no later than December 19, at 12:00 PM. Departing students must check out on THD and may also choose to check out in person to complete their room condition form.
- Champlain College staff may enter rooms for maintenance reasons during winter break.
Spring Semester Opening
All spring semester classes will begin virtually on January 25. A two-week quarantine period will align with the first two weeks of virtual instruction. Residents of 194 St Paul Street who are returning to their apartment and need to participate in the campus quarantine will move in January 23–24. We will reach out to all residential students via email in January to provide details regarding required quarantine upon arrival and other move-in details.
We are grateful for your support and understanding during this challenging time and look forward to a successful spring semester.
Please email email@example.com with any questions.
Jerome Holland, Jr.
Director, Housing and Residential Life