Main Campus Winter Break Campus Closing Update
Earlier today you received an email from President Akande that included details about campus operations from November 22–January 22. This message contains additional information for our main campus residential students, including good news for students who wish to leave their belongings on campus.
As a reflection of rising cases of COVID-19 in Vermont, New England, and across the country, and due to risks associated with holiday travel and the approaching flu season, the Vermont Department of Health recently revised its guidance to colleges for the upcoming break. Current state guidance requires that all colleges conclude in-person instruction prior to Thanksgiving and that students not return to campus until mid-January. As a result, Champlain College’s main campus residence halls and most campus facilities will be closed between November 22 and January 22.
Our plans for winter break move-out, reopening in the spring, and details on how to request a ‘late stay’ until the end of the semester are detailed below. Please keep in mind that as the number of COVID-19 cases continues to grow nationally, regionally and in Vermont, we all will need to be prepared for a changing landscape. We will continue to monitor and adjust our plans as needed.
Move-Out Plan for Winter Break
- All Main Campus students must depart by November 22 at 12 PM.
- Students who return to the same room for the spring semester will be allowed to leave their belongings in their own room during the winter break.
- Students will not have access to their room from November 22 until residence halls reopen for the spring semester—please be certain to take all necessary supplies (computers & chargers, gaming equipment, ski equipment, prescription medications, checkbooks, passport, any valuables, etc.) with you.
- During move-out, non-residents are not allowed inside the residence halls (including family), masks are required, and social distancing rules should be followed. Family members visiting Vermont for the purpose of picking students up from the College are asked to follow the current State of Vermont travel guidelines.
- Upon departure, every student must submit the Fall Check-Out on their THD homepage under Assignments/Fall 2020 and sign the Winter Break Hall Closing Checklist on their door. Please do not check out until you are actually leaving.
- Key return: Residents of 371 Main, 158 South Willard, and Carriage House should obtain an Express Checkout Envelope from the entry of their hall, seal all keys inside, and return as instructed. Each student will be reissued their key at spring opening.
- Students who are not returning for the spring semester may choose to check out in person with their RA to complete their room condition form.
- Champlain College staff may enter rooms for maintenance reasons during winter break.
Late Stay Requests
We understand that this is an extremely challenging time and we want to assist you with your plans. If you have an extenuating circumstance which requires you to stay on campus for the remainder of the semester, complete the Late Stay Request application on The Housing Director (THD) by November 9. Students approved to stay on campus through the end of the semester will receive confirmation within approximately 72 hours of completing the request application. Students who feel they cannot return home at the conclusion of the semester for the duration of winter break (December 19-January 22) should reach out to Housing and Residential Life at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss alternate arrangements.
Please keep in mind the following strict guidelines for any student approved to stay on campus between November 22‒December 19:
- Travel outside of Vermont is not permitted, including for Thanksgiving.
- All students approved for a Late Stay Request must depart no later than Saturday, December 19 at 12 PM.
- Any student who departs campus early will not be permitted to return to campus until the College reopens for spring semester.
- Dining hall hours will be limited through December 19.
- Weekly COVID testing will continue for students approved to stay through December 19.
- Limited support will be available from Housing and Residential Life and the Student Health Center.
Spring Semester Opening
All spring semester classes will begin virtually on January 25. A two-week campus quarantine period will align with the first two weeks of virtual instruction. Students who are participating in the campus quarantine will move in January 23-24; no main campus students will move in prior to January 23. Students who are not required to quarantine on campus will move in February 6-7. We will reach out to all residential students via email in January to provide details regarding required quarantine upon arrival and other move-in details.
We are grateful for your support and understanding during this challenging time and look forward to a successful spring semester.
Please email email@example.com with any questions.
Jerome Holland, Jr.
Director, Housing and Residential Life