Important Update for 194 St. Paul Street Residents
As you have undoubtedly heard, the number of cases of COVID-19 in Vermont are growing at an unprecedented rate. Locally, the City of Burlington is observing a spike in traces of COVID in its wastewater, signaling increased community spread of the virus. Yesterday Vermont recorded 148 new cases. UVM has reported 56 positives this week with 184 students in quarantine. At Champlain we have been relatively fortunate with only two cases reported this week, however our risk remains high. Vermont State modeling forecasts another 50% increase in cases over the next six weeks. As a result of the exponential growth of COVID-19 in the state and Burlington, Champlain is acting quickly to reduce the risk to our community. This email provides important updates specific to our students residing at 194 St. Paul Street.
What does this mean for you?
- Effective Sunday, November 22, students who reside at 194 St Paul street who have a primary or family residence available must vacate their apartment. The College has taken pride in the care and health of its students this semester, however the rapidly expanding COVID crisis demands that we de-densify our student population to ensure we can adequately care for those students most dependent upon us. In addition, the restrictive guidance surrounding quarantine, travel, and socialization make it very difficult for the college to ensure compliance with state and local guidance. Our first priority is your health and safety, and the health and safety of our community and state. We recognize this is an inconvenience for many of you, and we sincerely hope you understand the importance of our action in keeping everyone as healthy as possible during these incredibly challenging times.
- If you have extenuating circumstances and will be delayed/are unable to travel to a primary or family residence, or if finances are a barrier to returning home, please complete the 194 St. Paul Late Stay application on THD (The Housing Director) immediately. Housing and Residential Life will be in touch with you as soon as possible.
- The state of Vermont requires that all college students returning home to Vermont residences quarantine for a minimum of 7 days upon arrival followed by a negative COVID test, or 14 full days if testing is unavailable.
If you are approved to remain at 194 St. Paul Street:
- Travel to other residences in and out-of-state is prohibited. If you travel at any time, you may not return to campus until spring re-opening.
- Do not get together or socialize with anyone you do not live with, per order of the Governor. This includes Thanksgiving and the winter holidays. You should not plan to join another household for Thanksgiving dinner and then return to 194 St. Paul Street. As a reminder: guests are prohibited from entering 194 St Paul Street and access to your apartment is limited to your suitemates.
- Weekly testing is required for all 194 St. Paul Street residents who are approved to remain in campus housing. Testing will be available at Perry Hall every Tuesday between 9:00 AM–4:30 PM. If you test positive for COVID-19 you may be required to move to a main campus residence hall for no less than 7 days (and up to 14) while you await a negative test result.
We recognize that these restrictions will impact your holiday and winter break plans and want to acknowledge all you have done to keep our community safe thus far. We appreciate your continued cooperation and vigilance.
Interim Vice President of Student Affairs