Final Return-To-Campus Schedule & Protocols
Dear Champlain Colleagues,
As we have promised, we are following up with you to confirm our plans and schedule for transitioning our Burlington campus to an in-person, on-campus experience for spring semester.
Here are the key takeaways:
- Champlain will begin transitioning the Burlington campus to a full on-campus teaching and learning experience on Monday, January 31.
- Several changes have been made to the final day of student move-in on Sunday, January 30. Students will now be required to specifically submit a negative pre-arrival PCR test, and will test again upon arrival on Sunday so that we can capture any additional infections by Monday.
- Faculty will have the option to hold classes either in person or virtually on Monday, January 31. By Tuesday, all classes will be in person.
- Our expectation for staff was to return to campus beginning this past Monday, January 17. Each Vice President and supervisor will continue to manage each department in a way that ensures in-person, on-campus operational coverage while accommodating employees’ needs for alternate work arrangements.
We are carefully monitoring our students’ transition back to campus. Our efforts to date, combined with encouraging signs from the broader community, give us confidence in our ability to manage the health and safety of our campus during this phase of the pandemic. We are already seeing good results from our health and safety protocols, many of which go above and beyond those of our higher education peers:
- Our phased approach to bringing residential students back to campus and our decision to conduct the first two weeks of classes virtually has given us flexibility to accommodate students’ health statuses and other needs, and has allowed us to manage the available bandwidth of those who care for our students.
- Combining pre-arrival and post-arrival testing has helped us manage cases as residential students begin to engage in campus activities and has created a foundation for a safe on-campus community.
- The College has purchased KN95 and surgical masks for distribution to faculty, staff, and students while supplies last. We do expect supplies to run out, so please have your own masks ready to use and supplement as needed. We plan on providing three KN95s to those employees in student-facing roles and making regular disposable masks available at building entrances. Faculty should contact their Operations Manager to obtain their KN95 masks. Staff should contact their supervisor to get in touch with Nic Anderson. Students may request KN95 masks at the testing center while supplies last.
- Our continued contact tracing and isolation protocols allow us to quickly respond and minimize impact when cases do occur.
- Our vaccination, booster, and masking requirements help us provide the highest level of health and safety possible and minimize risk of severe illness and hospitalization from COVID-19 among our community members.
- Students will receive an email next week with more details about January 31 classes.
- Faculty members will need to communicate to their students whether their classes will be in person or virtual on January 31. Faculty members, if you have questions, please work directly with your Dean.
- All employees must submit vaccination and booster documentation today, January 21, following instructions sent by Sentry MD.
- All employees should review the Community Health Pledge.
- As a reminder, do not come to campus if you test positive for COVID-19, if you are experiencing COVID symptoms, or if you are not feeling well.
As we have become accustomed to doing, we continue to closely monitor the landscape on campus and in our broader community and adjust plans as needed. We thank you for your continued feedback, flexibility, and understanding and look forward to a productive, safe, and healthy spring semester.
Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer
Vice President, Student Affairs & Emergency Management Coordinator
Provost and Chief Academic Officer
Acting Director of Human Resources