From the Dean of Students and Medical Director of Champlain College Student Health
FEBRUARY 10, 2020
Dear Students, Faculty, and Staff,
Champlain College has been monitoring the outbreak of coronavirus that was first detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China, and which continues to expand. At this time, there are only a small number of cases in the United States, and there are no cases at Champlain College’s Vermont, Dublin, or Montreal campuses. The Vermont Department of Public Health says there are no confirmed cases of novel coronavirus in Vermont, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says the risk of this new virus to the American public is low at this time. Champlain is following guidance from the CDC, which is working closely with state, local, tribal, and territorial partners as well as public health partners.
Noah Goldblatt is closely monitoring the issue as it relates to our study abroad programs. If you have any questions about overseas travel or upcoming travel plans, please get in touch with Noah directly at email@example.com.
Since this is cold and flu season, we encourage everyone to follow healthy behaviors:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
While the risk of coronavirus to the Champlain College campus remains low, we are prepared to respond, following all directions from the CDC, and will continue to monitor the disease closely. We will provide further updates as needed.
To stay informed, please visit the CDC and World Health Organization websites where you’ll find the most accurate and up-to-date information:
Dean of Students
Annika Hawkins-Hilke, MSH/MPH
Family Nurse Practitioner
Medical Director, Champlain College Student Health