#BestofVT: Where to eat, drink, and explore around Burlington, Vermont

The experts themselves, Champlain College students, are here to tell you what their favorite places around Burlington, Vermont are to eat, drink, visit, and explore.

Whether you’re a prospective student or family member visiting Burlington for the first time, a current student looking for a new hangout, or an alum coming back to your old stomping grounds, check out the suggestions below and find your next go-to spot!

Andy ‘A-Dog’ Williams Skatepark

“Andy ‘A-Dog’ Williams Skatepark is the best skatepark I’ve ever been to. It’s within walking (or skating) distance of almost anywhere in Burlington and has some of the best sunset views around. The park is set up to accommodate anyone—from brand-new skaters to seasoned veterans. I started skating my first year of college and fell in love with it. Not only is skateboarding a great way to stay active, but it’s a great community to be a part of. It seems that every time I go there, I make new friends, and for that reason alone I will forever love A-Dog.”

Tom Garretson ’21 // Marketing

August First

“This semester, August First has been my safe haven for getting work done, enjoying a peaceful atmosphere, and sipping on an early morning coffee to recharge. The space is filled with an eclectic mix of local art, plants, and a lot of natural light which is really refreshing. Plus, they’ve added a lot of outdoor seating. It is the perfect depiction of what Burlington businesses are all about because it holds a lot of character and is visited so regularly by locals. Despite the many things that make Burlington special, this place makes me feel especially grateful to live in this community.”

Maria Black ’22 // Communication

The Bagel Place

“The Bagel Place has the best bagels in town. I usually get a Baja on an asiago bagel—highly recommend it. The bagels are dense and soft, and the coffee is better than all of the other bagel shops around. I’ve never found myself leaving dissatisfied.”

Jake Buzzell ’20 // Computer Science & Innovation

Church Street

“Church Street has so much to offer a college student! It’s a quick walk from campus, and you can go out to eat with friends or shop in the boutiques (or both!). My favorite spots are Pascolo Ristorante and Asiana Noodle Shop. Insider tip: During the summer, many shops have tent sales, if you’re looking to score some deals.”

Anna Kelley ’21 // Graphic Design

City Hall Park

“City Hall Park is a great place to sit back and relax downtown. During my first year at Champlain, this area was always under construction and I didn’t have a clue what was being built. But now I can go to KKD’s and watch the beautiful fountains while I enjoy my meal. There are also a lot of skaters in this area and watching them shred is always entertaining.”

Jasheem Maxwell ’23 // Cybersecurity

The Farmhouse

“The Farmhouse is one of my favorite dining experiences in Burlington! Their high-quality vegetarian options and great customer service add to the warm Vermont feel of the restaurant. My mom and I go here every year for my birthday and we can’t leave without having their amazing Chocolate Stout Cake. Definitely my go-to for an enjoyable night out while wandering Church Street!”

Billy Standen ’20 // Computer Networking & Cybersecurity

Feldman’s Bagels

“Feldman’s Bagels is one of my favorite spots in Burlington for a quick and easy breakfast. Its location makes it a perfect distance to bike or drive to on a lazy weekend morning. Feldman’s is right across from Champlain’s Lakeside campus, which also means Champlain students can easily take the shuttle there. Their wide variety of homemade bagels, sandwiches, and coffee keeps me coming back to try everything out.”

Jack Tenda ’22 // Game Art

The Flynn

“I love the Flynn because it’s where I access almost all of my arts-related experiences in Burlington. I’ve been a dancer my whole life, and I was afraid I’d lose the opportunity to continue my passion when I came to college. But I found my place at the Flynn. It’s so close to campus, and offers classes in various forms of dance. Plus, you can get steeply discounted show tickets as a student—only $10 for Flynn productions!”

Sadie MacKinnon ’21 // International Business

Fu Da

“Fu Da in Burlington offers tasty, affordable Chinese food, but it’s also so much more! It’s a local, authentic, and family-run Chinese restaurant that never fails to make everyone feel welcome. Their food is so great that it might just become your favorite place, too! The prices aren’t bad on a college kid’s budget and better yet, they deliver through the Mr. Delivery website. Tip: If you order their dumplings (they’re pork) and don’t have a huge appetite, it’s perfect for sharing between 2 people!”

Alex McKenna ‘21 // Marketing (Special shoutout to Alex, who founded the #BestofVT series during her time as a Champlain Marketing intern!)

Gaku Ramen

“Gaku Ramen has a great atmosphere, great hosts, and most importantly, GREAT RAMEN! It’s one of the closest restaurants to campus on Church Street— which I’m so thankful for because I could spend every minute there. Most times you can catch Bob Ross or Naruto playing on their TVs, and with their stamp card, you get a free meal after 10 visits! If you’re like me and finish the noodles before the soup, you can get extra noodles by asking for Kaedama!”

Sydney Broadbent ’22 // Criminal Justice

Henry’s Diner

“The thing I love most about Henry’s Diner is the atmosphere. It reminds me of when I was little and went to my local diner to get breakfast with my dad. It’s a feeling I can’t get anywhere else. It’s a great place to go with friends to take a break from the stress of school. Insider tip: If you go, you HAVE to get a Hungry Henry. It’s the most food you can get for the lowest price, and it’s all amazing. I promise it’ll be the only meal you need all day!”

Jack Long ’21 // Game Design

Kountry Kart Deli

“Kountry Kart Deli, known by us locals as KKDs, is located on the corner of Church and Main, next to the Flynn Center. When you walk into KKDs, you’re guaranteed to have a delicious, affordable meal in hand within minutes. KKDs offers an extensive menu, including all-day breakfast! It’s open 20 hours a day—until 3 am— so it’s the perfect spot for a close-by, late-night snack when on-campus services are closed.”

Adan Breheny ‘19 // Computer Information Technology

Kru Coffee

“Kru Coffee is one of my favorite new coffee shops. Right on Church Street, Kru Coffee has many amazing drinks and pastries and is within short walking distance of the Champlain campus and 194 St. Paul Street apartments. In the warmer weather, they have outdoor seating. It is the perfect place to hang out with a friend or do some homework! Kru Coffee offers a cool atmosphere, and is the perfect spot for a quick drink or pastry.”

Isabel Schonemann ’22 // Broadcast Media Production

Muddy Waters

“Muddy Waters is not your typical coffee shop—it is a community of its own, filled with unique seating, peaceful lighting, and some of the best music, which will broaden your horizons. It is a place to get work done, catch up on your reading, or find new friends. In my opinion, it is one of the best places in Burlington to spend your time. Tip: If you’re lucky you can even find some hidden notes stuck in the wall—or write one for someone else to find.”

Holly Turner ’21 // Social Work & Criminal Justice

Oakledge Park

“Oakledge is my all-time favorite place in Burlington! It is the perfect hang-out spot to chill with friends during the summer, and the sunsets are always spectacular. If you haven’t had the chance to visit Oakledge, you need to!”

Martina Monroe ’23 // Accounting & Finance

Perkins Pier

“Perkins Pier has been my favorite place to go this year after a long day of school and work. It is a great spot to go with friends or alone to watch the golden sunsets over the mountains and lake. Each sunset is different and beautiful in its own unique ways. Plus there are always really cute doggies around watching the sunset, too!”

Allie Pashby-Rockwood ’22 // Early Education

Pizza 44

“Pizza 44 is one of my favorite date night spots. The atmosphere is awesome and all of the food is incredible. It is a little more pricey than some pizza places downtown, but a great place if you want to get off campus/downtown and explore somewhere new! It is a super short walk from our Lakeside campus, which makes it easy and accessible for all students even if you don’t have a car.”

Becca Boucher ’20 // Graphic Design & Digital Media

Waterfront Boardwalk

“My favorite place is the Burlington waterfront boardwalk (when the weather is nice). Whether it’s the constant view of dogs prancing, or listening to waves lap the shore, it’s a very peaceful place to be. My tip is to go down and find a spot to sit, silence your phone, and just listen to everything passing by.”

Kelsey Peyton ’21 // Graphic Design & Digital Media

Want to hear about even more student hotspots? Follow us on Instagram (@champlainedu) to stay in the loop and see more of our #BestofVT series!

More Places
Total Solar Eclipse Sparks Excitement in Burlington
Champlain Students Reflect on a Public Relations Regional Conference in Boston
Building Community While Abroad: Dublin Students & the Liberties