Maddy Wailonis, ’20 on Computer Science, Clubs, and the Champlain Community

A Q&A with Maddy Wailonis, ’20 // Computer Information Technology

Computer Information Technology major Maddy Wailonis, ‘20, was drawn to Champlain because of its small, tight-knit, and welcoming community. In this interview, we talk to Maddy about her favorite aspects of her major, and her life on Champlain’s campus.

Q: What originally drew you to Champlain?

A: When I began my college search I knew I wanted a small school. After touring Champlain my junior year of high school, I fell in love with the campus. I wanted a school where I could walk to class and run into a bunch of my friends, and where the professors wouldn’t just see me as a number. I love the small class sizes, because I am able to build strong relationships with my professors. This allows me to get the help I need, when I need it.

Q: What do you like most about your Computer Information Technology major?

A: I like that my classes are preparing me for things that I am going to be doing in the working world. All of the projects that I’ve completed for my major have been rewarding. They have all helped me learn and dive deeper into my field of study and prepare me for my career. For example, I put together an entire e-commerce website from scratch, and even created databases that small businesses could use.

Q: How has Core added to what you’re learning in your major classes?

Champlain College student, Madeline Wailonis

A: My Core experience allowed me to change my perspective of myself and the community. In class discussions, we talk about how our bodies influence the way we think of the world, while including how race, class, gender, sexuality, nationality, etc. also affect how we view ourselves and others. 

My favorite Core experience so far was when my Street Art class got to create and design our own mural. We worked with a local graffiti organization to spray-paint our own masterpiece.

Q: Do you participate in any Champlain clubs?

A: I was the President of the Champlain College Women’s Rugby Club for three years. I loved being a part of this team. It was a great way to meet new friends! Before coming to Champlain, I had never played rugby before, but it’s an easy sport to pick up. Having teammates that are enthusiastic about the sport makes learning the ropes so much fun.

Q: What’s one of your favorite things about Champlain?

A: My favorite thing about my Champlain experience is the community. The people you meet here are amazing. Since it’s such a small school, you have the opportunity to make close connections with everyone. I love living on campus, because I am so close to all of my friends. I live in the same dorm as all of them. We always hang out in the common room, watch movies, and walk to dinner at the dining hall together.

Plus, I love how lively Burlington is. Champlain is so close to the Church Street Marketplace and the waterfront. There are always art and music events going on, and great food!

Q: What your goals for after graduation?

A: After graduation, I’d like to see myself as a Database Developer or Database Administrator working with any size company and moving up in the ranks as time goes on. I definitely feel prepared for my future career.

Interested in working with computers? Why not check out our Division of Information Science & Technology and find your perfect major!

More People
88 Talented Students, Five Exciting Games, One Unforgettable Game Studio Senior Show
Champlain Announces 2024 Commencement Speakers
Christian Konczal on Champlain’s Evolving Esports Landscape